16 of ’17

Manuel Carlos, News Editor

Once again, Weston Ranch High School bids a bittersweet farewell to a class of seniors.

Some took the school’s first Senior Walk to visit area elementary schools May 11. In two weeks, their next walk together will be across the stage as graduates.

This year, we will share snapshots of 16 graduates of the Class of 2017 who remember their experiences and plans for the future.

Our 17th graduate is featured here:  http://cougarprowl.net/1214/sports/one-of-17/

Good luck to all of our future graduates!

Charlie Zhang:

Q: What do you plan to do after graduating from WRHS?

“I plan to attend the University of California Los Angeles, and I’m gonna be studying computer science for a four-year degree.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Kinda mixed feelings, I guess.”

Q: Do you think you will miss WRHS? Why, why not? What will you miss most?

“Yeah, I think I will kinda like miss some of the experiences I had here, and y’know just the way of life I had here.”

Q: What will you remember about high school?

“I would probably say, the extracurricular events like participation in the band, concerts.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“I’ve probably thanked them enough, but I’ll thank them again, I’d like to thank Ms. Baptista and Mr. Barron. Those two teachers I’ve had for several years, and they’ve had [a big impact].”

Deepa Singh:

“I’m gonna be attending UC Davis this fall with a major of neurology, physiology, and behavior. I pry to pursue a career in medicine, I’m not completely sure where in medicine.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yeah but it’s a bittersweet moment, definitely gonna miss all that I’m leaving behind. But it’s nice that I’m starting a new chapter”

“Yeah I will because I was really involved with it and I had some attachments and y’know bonds with everything and every aspect of this school.”

“Being involved in the school is definitely something I’m gonna miss, being involved in all the clubs leadership, being able to participate I’m gonna miss all that, and the good stress behind planning everything.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“I’ll shout out Mr. Furtado and Ms. Lewis for being amazing leadership teachers and kind of being the venue that I got so involved in the school.”

Tyler Compo:

“I’m going to go to UC San Diego and then I’m gonna major in mechanical engineering.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yeah, it’s a big relief because we spent so much time here and worked super hard, and its all paying off now.”

“Yeah I think I’ll miss it because I’ve lived around this area and gone to the schools around here all my life so a big part of that’s gonna be gone once I graduate.”

“I’d like to say my friends probably,” he said. “I guess what I’ll really remember is AP Exams and the stress of taking a whole bunch of different types of them.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

Ms. Baptista, she’s one of the best teachers, she cares about her students deeply.”

Aaron Aguilar:

“I will be attending UOP and I plan on earning a degree in mathematics and then I will also continue to play baseball in college as well.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yes, I just finished my last my AP exam today, so now I just feel relieved.”

“Yeah definitely, I made a lot of great memories here and a there’s a lot of people I’m gonna miss, a lot of great teachers, and then all my friends scattering around to different colleges so I’m gonna miss everyone.”

“I think the thing that stands out most is that there are really great teachers here, like throughout the 4 years I’ve been here I had nothing but great teachers everyone’s willing to help and just do the best they can and make you as successful as you can be, so, it’s great.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“To Ms. Baptista, Mr. Salas, Mr. Treviño, are like the top three I’d like to thank the most, they were really great help and just great teachers and they’re always there to help you be as successful as you can.”

Mary Vang:

“In the coming fall I plan on attending UC Davis majoring in computer science and engineering.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yes, I actually am, I actually what want to see what my future has for me I feel like Weston Ranch has prepared me a lot for the future.”

“I will miss the teachers for the most part, most of them have made a great impact on my aspirations and my work ethic.”

“I will remember CSF most about High School.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“Mr. Salas, and Ms. Baptista. Salas taught me to preserve and to always ask questions, and Baptista… Baptista has everything… she not only cares about your grades… she cares, period.”

Selena Hoang:

“After high school, I’m chairing at San Jose state and I’m majoring in Biology.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yes and no, I’m nervous.”

“The memories yeah, [they’re just positive]. There’s a lot of things at Weston Ranch that’s positive, but then y’know there’s parts that are not.”

“I will remember all my friends and my junior year of cheering.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“Mr. Furtado.”

Deondre Whitten:

“What I plan on doing after Weston Ranch is to attend MJC (Modesto Junior College) and a fire academy and go into being a fire fighter.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

I’m kinda excited about graduation it’s just crazy that it’s happening so fast, like I wasn’t expecting it.”

“To be honest I low key won’t. I low key do, I will miss some teachers like Mr. Salas, Mrs. Beaty, Allred… they all taught me a lot and I really do appreciate them.”

“I just want to say these four years were cool and rocky as fuck but I’m happy that I’m about to graduate in two weeks it makes happy. Always be yourself as I was all four years, don’t let anyone change you or tell you something different.”

Manuel Espinoza:

“United States Marine Corps”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yeah!”

“Through all the faults and pieces of crap that it was, yeah.”

“This,” he said in reference to his physical education.

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“Sergeant First Class Reyes, and Wamble, because Wamble’s pretty cool.”

Q: Anything else you want to add?

“Freshman, don’t foul up”

Joey Contreras:

“I’m going to Azusa Pacific University, in Azusa, California to major in journalism, with a concentration in Sports Journalism, hoping to become a sports broadcaster in the future for hopefully either Fox Sports or ESPN and then later down in the road probably become a pastor or go in to ministry…  I just love to talk and I love sports, and the one thing that brings those two together is, talk.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“It’s bittersweet y’know it’s been a great four years here at Weston Ranch High School but y’know you always got to move on in life and its gonna be very emotional leaving this school for, as a student for the last time and its gonna be tough. But I’m excited over what the future holds.”

“Absolutely, it’s been my home for the past four years, literally… I just love the school in general, you’ve got a beautiful campus, there’s some negatives but the positives I think outweigh the negatives.”

“I will remember all the opportunities that I was blessed with by from numerous staff members from Mr. Salas allowing me to announce and Mr. Furtado and Ms. Lewis allowing me to be in leadership and help lead this school, and other opportunities that I had throughout high school that have made and shape the person I am today.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“There’s too many to name, I’ll be listing all of them!”

Edgar Solorzano:

“I plan on going to San Jose State in the fall, living on campus… sadly, it’s very expensive. Once I graduate from the university I’ll be majoring in computer engineering.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yes and no, yes because I’m going to be independent, no because I’m be leaving behind so many friends, I have a lot of friends who are junior and sophomores.”

“Oh…no!”

“This one time during freshman year, when everybody got their passes for AP where they warn you can’t opt out, I got one of the passes in second period in Driver’s Ed and Ms. Alvarez says “Oh Edgar, I didn’t know you were smart!”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

Shout out to Baps and Stogner, Allred.”

Jesse Negrete:

“I’m going to Consumnes River College, I decided on that because I originally wanted to be a computer engineer, then I realized by the end of this year, that’s not what I wanted anymore, I realized what I want to do is become a teacher… I plan on majoring in English.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Not really, I don’t like a lot of people [to] already get out there and everything, I don’t know’ like objectively, the work doesn’t end and if anything it’s gonna be lonelier than high school. It’s gonna be worse.”

“I think so yeah, I spent the majority of my life here and with the people here, so I know I’m gonna miss them, just because they’ve become such a big part in my life, and I see them everyday.”

“Probably the friendships, just like my friends and teachers like Salas and Baptista, like they care about you personally. They actually care about their students, I’m not saying other teachers don’t, but it really shows.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“Salas and Baptista. Mr. Moore, and Moret from August Knodt.”

Q: Anything else you want to add?

“Shout out to Juan and Tyler, they’ve been my friends for the longest time… I met Tyler in first grade and Juan in fourth, and… I’d consider them my closest friends… and I couldn’t have made it without them.”

Lorenzo Galfo:

“I plan on going to a four year college, my plan was to go to San Jose State, which I’m still on the road for going there, but I’m running into some last minute financial situations, but that’s still where I hope to go. I’m going into San Jose State for business, [for] finance. I just chose business because there’s a wide range of jobs you can apply for.

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“That’s what I’ve been looking forward to since freshman year.”

“Yeah I think I’ll miss it, I think I will, tell myself I won’t, but there’s some parts I will miss.”

“Mainly just remember being part of the music program, I think that’s like the biggest thing that I’ve been a part of.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“I’d like to give a shout out to Ms. Mejia for failing me in Spanish, but y’know she made me mature a lot faster, and I’d also like to give a shout out to Mr. Allred and Mr. Barron.”

Nick Curtright:

“I’m going to attend Delta for two years and transfer out most likely somewhere down in SoCal like San Jose State or UC Irving and I’m gonna get a job at Bass Pro Shop.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yeah I’m excited, it’s been something I worked at for 13 years and it’s finally over, it’s more a surreal feeling than excitement.”

“I don’t think I’ll miss WRHS… I did not enjoy my time here, I’ll be blunt. There are a few teachers that I will miss, because they were really cool teachers, but I’m ready to live my life and leave this part of it behind me.”

“Probably miss all of the friends that I made, it’s gonna be hard, there’s a lot of people going to Delta, but at the same time the people I’m really close with are leaving immediately, and I won’t be able to see them.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“Shout outs to Mr. Allred, Mr. Heygi, and Mr. Brooks, because he’ll want me to say that,” he said. “Shout out to Mr. Verderame, and shout out to Barron, not because I like him but because without him I wouldn’t be the musician that I am today.”

Yuritzi Hernandez:

The military.

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yes finally, thank god”

“I will mostly miss the teachers who have impacted me, but I want to leave.”

“JROTC, competitions.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“Trevino, Sgt. Reyes, Col. Cerezo and Mr. Williams.

Q: Anything else you want to add?

“Shout out to my best friends Verda and Nissah.”

Corbin Holdcroft:

“I’m leaving for the military… I’m gonna be an aircraft electrician, I leave for Fort Jackson on June 5th.”

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“I’m more than excited to graduate, I’m tired of this school, tired of class, tired of learning, tired of a routine.”

“Most definitely will, because one, JROTC, two, all the friends and people I met here, plus all the parties.”

“Sgt. Reyes, probably the most inspirational teacher I’ve ever had, instructor I’ve ever had”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“Shoutout to Sgt. Reyes, Ms. Kemper, Col. Cerezo, and Mr. Hager”

Malachi Moore:

CSU Monterrey Bay to study Liberal Studies, and plans on becoming a teacher.

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

“Yes and no because I don’t want to leave y friends but I want to go out and become successful”

“Yes because I will miss orchestra and playing tennis.”

“When teachers mispronounce my name, and my friends and teachers.”

Q: Shout out to any teachers?

“Mr. Barron and Mrs. Alanis.”