Fidget Spinners Move From Tool To Toy To Trend

Fidget spinners have moved from a educational tool to help students concentrate to a hot toy.

Jeremy Bagnas, Features Reporter

Prowl Staff photos

By Jeremy Bagnas

Are they educational tools? Or are they trendy toys?

They’re called fidget spinners.

Still, wondering what they are?

Well, a fidget spinner could be considered as a type of toy to many kids. For others – both kids and adults – it is a low profile, handheld device that people can touch and twirl without making a big scene.

What most people can agree upon is that increasingly, it’s hard to keep them “on the low” anymore because fidget spinners are just too popular. But it wasn’t always that way.

When Catherine Hettinger, the creator of fidget spinners, patented these often dual-sphered digit players in 1997, they were intended to be a remedy for children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorders, anxiety and autism. Slowly, as these manipulatives gained prominence Students diagnosed with these tendencies began bringing the toy into classrooms as a soothing tool, sometimes expressly written into an Individual Education Plan (IEP) to help students learn.

Now, according to Time.com, as the popularity of these spinners has increased, these former tools now toys, have been banned in some classrooms across the country due to the noise they can create when spun atop a desk.

At the same time, independent online sellers and even major retailers like Toys ‘R Us, as reported by the Chicago Tribune can’t order enough, despite having seen the item trend among the most popular items on Web sites like Amazon and eBay, while finding shelf space in gas stations and 7-Eleven stores.

“We think the overall fidget trend can be very sustainable,” Toys ‘R Us Executive Vice President Richard Barry told the Tribune in a May 9 article about the spinners.

Depending on your classes, you may have seen these spinners in action as both tools and toys, as they’ve become popular at Weston Ranch and other Manteca Unified district schools.

“I use it out of boredom,” said sophomore Herman Guillen. “It helps [me keep my] attention.”

When asked some students preferred not to talk about why they have fidget spinners, possibly due to its history of being recommended for therapeutic use.

Freshman Rico Rodriguez said he felt his spinner serves a purpose.

“I bought it because it helps me focus on my work, it calms me down as well,” Rodriguez said. “I do play with it at times but most of the time, I use it for work.”

The same can’t be said for every student.

Mrs. Marie Mitchell, a veteran teacher at Weston Ranch and within the district, said her response to fidget spinners depends on how they are used.

“It can be positive if you use it correctly,” Mitchell said. But, “now [students] are playing with them and hiding them in [their] tablets and their screens.”

Mitchell said, “It’s both good and bad.

“They are fun,” the teacher said. “But are they needed in class? No.”

Prowl staff reporter Erika Carlson contributed to this report.