Boys Volleyball Captures Another Crown

The Weston Ranch Boys Varsity volleyball team had an incredible season this year, finishing with an impressive overall league record of 12-0-0. Their hard work and dedication paid off when they won a league banner and secured a spot in the playoffs.

On its way to the undefeated season in the SJAA, Weston Ranch won 36 sets and lost only six. They also collected seven 3-0 match sweeps. The impressive run helped the Cougars earn a #16 ranking for the Sac-Joaquin Section.

The Cougars won their opening game in the D II Boys Volleyball playoffs, a 3-1 victory against Manteca High School, but lost the second round to Woodcreek High School of Roseville.

“My favorite part of the season was winning a league banner and making it into playoffs,” SR. Amari Dacus said. “It was amazing to see all of our hard work pay off and to know that we had accomplished something great as a team.”

At the beginning of the season, the chemistry could have been stronger, but over time they came together because of their mentality and their coaching but also the team’s key players. The group’s skill improved over time, and then it all came to fruition at the perfect time as they raced through the SJAA.

Eleazar Nava, another standout Weston Ranch varsity volleyball team player, also spoke to me about the team’s growth throughout the season. When asked if he thought the team had grown and learned as players, he replied, “Yes, absolutely. I think every team player has learned and grown as a player. It definitely showed when we were going head-to-head and even beating the new D2 champions of the 2022-23 season, Woodcreek. There was a ton of more energy and heart in the last games of the season that helped us fight with everything we had.”

Coach Rebecca Kinlaw praised the club for their big hearts and determination.

“I’m really proud of this team for winning the SJAA championship,” Kinlaw said. “That was one of their goals at the beginning of the season, and I am so happy that they could meet that goal. The boys worked hard during practice and did a great job buying into everything the coaches taught them.”