BOYS BASKETBALL: Cougars and Marauders Square Off Tonight in CIF Semi Final

And then there were four. So, after Rounds 1 and 2, it’s down to Inderkum, Modesto Christian, Jesuit, and Weston Ranch to battle for the Division 1 Section Championship in boys’ basketball.  

Weston Ranch plays Jesuit High School of Carmichael tonight in a semifinal game of the 2023 CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Boys Basketball Playoffs. The winner punches their ticket to Saturday’s D1 final at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, where they will face the Modesto Christian and Inderkum game victor. 

Weston Ranch is no stranger to the post-season. Since 2012, the Cougars are 22-7 in that span and have collected two D3 Section Championships and one D2 Nor Cal State Championship. However, this remarkable run includes one year in which Weston Ranch did not make it into the post-season and the 2021 Covid-shortened years without playoffs. And this year’s Cougars are two wins away from cementing themselves among WR’s greats and adding to the program’s legacy.

Weston Ranch faces another big challenge in Jesuit High School. The Marauders have a lot of championship history. The program has won 24 league championships; its last Section Championship was in 2014. This year, Jesuit is 25-4 and won the Delta League with a record of 12-0. They are also on a 12-game win streak and have two blowout wins against Sacramento high school power Sheldon (a team Weston Ranch squeaked past 89-83 on Jan. 21). 

And like Weston Ranch, Jesuit has spent time playing the best teams from around the country. However, unlike Weston Ranch, Jesuit beat those similar teams and lost only to bay area power Archbishop Mitty of San Jose, Ironwood of Arizona, Roosevelt HS of Eastvale, CA, and Folsom (a team Weston Ranch just beat 64-58). The Mauraders also have a win over Rio Americano, the #1 seed in the D2 tournament. Jesuit is battle-tested, talented, and rolling, and it will take another tremendous effort from Weston Ranch to make it to the finals.

“I have a lot of familiarity with the Jesuit program and who they’re about and what they do,” Podesta said. “When I was a college coach, I spent time on their campus, recruited, and then coached kids from that program. So I know the long-storied history of athletic excellence at Jesuit.”

“It’s a program with a long track record of success in our Section. So tonight will be a challenge, and we’re looking forward to it. I expect it to be a terrific game.”

Tonight is another big game for the Cougars. The Prowl has repeated that phrase multiple times this season, but it’s true. It’s against another excellent basketball school with plenty of history and tradition. It’s another Final Four. It’s for the opportunity to play for another Section championship. We can’t say much more than that. 

Tip-off for tonight’s game against the Marauders is scheduled for 7 p.m. Jesuit High School is located at 4660 Fair Oaks Blvd in Sacramento. Tickets can be purchased in advance at Jesuit vs. Weston Ranch | Basketball Tickets | GoFan