CLUB SPOTLIGHT: FFA AND AGRICULTURE

Future Farmers of America (FFA) is a program built around leadership. FFA intends to build up its members for future career success and promote agriculture. But it’s more than cows and farming. It’s building leaders and people for the future.

The officers meet every Tuesday at lunch, and the whole chapter (basically all members) meets monthly after school. FFA plans activities, fundraisers, and field trips, all funded by themselves. The fundraisers help offset the costs of going to competitions that FFA has alongside going to conferences so their chapter can show off its year-long project. The officers are the ones that come up with all the things the chapter does for the year.

As new teachers, Mr. Celeste and Ms. Gutierrez are working hard as professionals, and overall, FFA is running smoothly thanks to their guidance. In addition, they have a complete set of officers who can lead their program and full classes. As a result, they are overflowing with people wanting to get into FFA.

Mr. Celeste is a 2012 graduate of WRHS, so when he saw that the job opened in Weston Ranch, he was willing to come back. He wanted to come back. It was a big goal for him. Both Celeste and Gutierrez have massive faith in all of their officers. At the same time, they don’t specifically choose from a list of who gets to be one. Instead, they pick the best and build them up as leaders. They can be difficult and have big attitudes, but they are there to create strong individuals and give them real-life skills, so they are prepared for the outside world.

Their president Angel Ramirez believes it’s the best club on campus, as he’s in charge of the meetings and ensuring the club runs as smoothly as possible. Most officers take care of their job and do as they’re told; he’s happy he got the officers he did. Angel said, “Follow your dreams, or someone will hire you to do theirs,” and it’s apparent that everyone in FFA gives it their all for a collective dream.