Juarez’s Hat Trick Not Enough as Cougars Come Up Short Against Ben Holt Academy

Ben Holt College Prep Academy beat Weston Ranch, 5-3, yesterday at Weston Ranch. Leslie Jaurez scored three goals for the Cougars, but it wasn’t enough to propel Weston Ranch to its third victory.

“This was a tough but good game,” said head coach Bailey Nelson. “We fought really hard in the second half and found our rhythm towards the end. We kept possession for almost 15 minutes but couldn’t finish.”

The Cougars found themselves trailing 3-1 at halftime. However, Weston Ranch came out in the second half, got two goals from Jaurez, and tied it. Ben Holt returned to its attack, knocked home two goals, and closed the game.

“They had two really good counterattacks that caught my goalie (freshman Alaina Escobedo) off guard,” Nelson said.

The loss moves Weston Ranch’s record to 2-2-1 on the year. However, Nelson reflected that while it was a tough loss, things will improve, and they will move on to the next game.

“I’m sad that we lost and frustrated, but we have 24 more games to go this season, so we will keep working, keep practicing and continue to fight,” Nelson concluded.

The Cougars will be back on the field against Manteca High School on December 5 at Manteca. JV will play at 5 pm, and the Varsity will follow at 6:45.