Girls Tennis Takes Down Two SJAA Opponents and Improves to 3-0

Girls tennis ready for first serves.

Weston Ranch Girls tennis smashed their way past the Chavez HS Titans, 7-2, yesterday at Chavez. Add Tuesday’s win to the thrilling 5-4 victory over Stagg HS on Monday, and you will notice the Cougars are playing great tennis and are now 3-0 in the SJAA.

Harvir Hothi, Jollete Jaramillo, Nguyet Ngo, and Allegra Rios posted singles wins at Stagg to put the Cougars up 4-2. However, the Cougars dropped two doubles matches, and Stagg knotted up the score at 4-4 going into Megan Lindbloom and Leeandrea Bell’s final game. Bell and Lindbloom completed a straight-set win (6-3 and 6-4) to seal the 5-4 match victory for Weston Ranch.

“There were some hard-fought rallies in which the Lady Cougars could win points and add to their confidence and momentum,” said head coach Michael Cerezo. “I was impressed with the girls’ can-do positive attitude and fighting spirit in the Stagg matches.”

Tuesday’s win over Chavez was a little easier for the Cougars.

Hothi continues to show why she is Weston Ranch’s #1 singles player. Hothi won game 1, 6-1, and outlasted her opponent in game 2, eventually winning a tie-break game 7-5. Her win set the tone for the rest of the day.

“Harvir was an All-VOL Doubles awardee with Finnish student Ella Nykanen last season,” said Cerezo. “It’s her second season as the number one player, and she’s playing really well.”

In addition to Hothi’s win, Giselle Rivera, Allegra Rios, and Jaramillo all won their singles matches. Rivera’s match was a thrilling 2-game win. After winning game 1, 6-1, Rivera won a grueling game 2, 8-6, in a tie-break. Rios needed to win the third game to put the Cougars up 4-2 going into the doubles matches. Rios won game one, 6-2, lost game two, 2-6, then stormed back to win game three, 6-4.

The doubles teams of Aaliyah Hassan and Heidi Araiza won 6-2 and 6-1, Aura Sugaya and Bell won 6-1 and 6-0, and Yamirel Esquivel and Lindbloom finished off the day by defeating their opponents 6-2 and 6-2.

Since the first day of practice, the focus has been on improving basic skills, and it looks like the time investment is paying dividends.

“We’ve needed to improve our forehand and backhand swings,” said Cerezo. “Serve fundamentals were also an area the team needed to improve. So I challenged the players with intense drills in these areas.”

The Cougars sit at 3-0 in the SJAA, and the excitement runs high. Cerezo’s teams have a tremendous commitment to the tennis program. Their dedication, 100% effort, and great sportsmanship have been staples of the program since Cerezo took over.

“Fans will see quality matches as well as inexperienced ones. Half the team is returning players, whereas the others are beginners,” said Cerezo. “I always expect the players to do their best.”

The Cougars will be back on the court on September 15 at home against Franklin HS. Matches begin at 3:30.

Photos courtesy of Mr. Cerezo

Aura Sugaya serving as Leeandrea Bell readies for return serve.
Allegra Rios returns a serve during her win against Chavez.
Principal Troy Fast congratulates the Cougars on their victories.