CLUB SPOTLIGHT: Taste of Culture

This week’s club spotlight is on Taste of Culture. Currently being advised by Mr. Watson, Taste of Culture is a club that focuses on learning more about different cultures through cultural dishes.

“Food’s a great way to build bridges, you know, and to meet new people and to get the students to experience new cultures, and the best way to experience new cultures is through food,” Watson said.

The club is entering its second year, and the members are excited about its future.

“Seeing how much fun our members had last year, I wanted to continue doing our cookouts,” Susana Soria, the current Taste of Culture president, said when asked what made her want to continue the club.

Currently, the club has cookouts after school on Fridays, and they have occasional meetings in room 1101 during lunch. Taste of Culture has 20 members in the food club, with weekly membership growing slowly.

“I want to get as many students from mixed cultures involved with the group as possible, so I want to try to get every group,” Watson said. “I want their culture represented.”

Cultures the club has visited with their dishes include Mexican, Korean, Palestinian, Filipino, and American, with a club favorite being the falafel cookout they had last year.

“I hope that in the future our club becomes bigger and gains more interest throughout the school,” Soria said when asked about her hopes for the club’s future.

Although the club is new to this school, Taste of Culture has shown to be an exciting concept, and the cookouts have been eye-opening experiences regarding understanding different cultures.

Anyone interested in joining the club should reach out to either the advisor Mr. Watson in room 1101, or Susana Soria, the current president, via Teams.

We at The Prowl would like to thank Taste of Culture for allowing us to speak with them and create this spotlight and we hope this may interest you in participating in one of their after-school cookouts.