Teacher Spotlight: Rick Salas

Mr. Salas
Mr. Salas

This week’s teacher spotlight is on Rick Salas. Mr. Salas is a well-known and respected teacher amongst staff and students at Weston Ranch High School (WRHS), so it was an honor to highlight him in this week’s story.

Salas is an original WRHS teacher making his 20th year teaching here this year. He went to Modesto Junior College and Stanislaus State, majoring in math and getting his B.A in mathematics. However, this wasn’t his original major. He initially majored in psychology and business before this. In fact, he originally didn’t even plan on being a math teacher for the entirety of his career. He had intended to teach for only about five years, then, after saving money, go back to become an engineer.

He’s currently teaching Calculus AB, Algebra 2, Geometry, and Algebra A.

Outside of school, he also coached cross country for about 14 years. Other sports he’s coached previously would track and field. In addition, Salas was an assistant coach for tennis, and he coached his little brother in soccer. He also likes to take care and relax with his pet cats when he’s not engaging and challenging the academic minds of WRHS.

“That’s pretty much my time,” Salas said.

He also used to be an adviser for our school’s math team when our school used to compete in math competitions. He also announces at our home football games and helps tutor and study with the students intending to take AP exams.

We at The Prowl would like to thank Mr. Salas for allowing us to speak with him, and we hope this spotlight will interest students to try to take a class with him or come to his math tutoring.