2022 Cougar Football Preview

Senior Namir Brown Sanger will look to lead the Cougars in 2022

Weston Ranch football is back. The Cougars will face Grace Davis High School of Modesto on August 19 at Weston Ranch High School. The Junior Varsity will start the evening when they kick off at 5 pm, and the Varsity will debut at 7 pm. The prospects are high for this year’s team, and Cougar football fans should notice a significant improvement in head coach Ron Wayman’s squad.

“The expectations are high this year,” said Wayman. “Obviously, for myself, it is to be more competitive and a continuation of the culture change that has occurred over the last couple of seasons. Most of this year’s team has been together for two seasons, one short Covid Spring Season and then last year’s season. They have grown together. They know each other and are a tight group. I can honestly say if my expectations are high, each player’s self-expectations are even higher. They see a lot is expected of them, and so do I. We have prepared ourselves, committed ourselves, and now we are ready to deliver on Friday nights for the people, our fans.”

The Cougars are coming off a disappointing 2021 campaign where they posted a 1-9 overall record and were 0-6 in the Valley Oak League. However, this year’s team will compete in a new league (SJAA) and look to the move as a new beginning where they can make new traditions. The SJAA will be competitive, but Wayman sees an excellent opportunity for success.

“In the SJAA, there is more continuity with each team,” Wayman said. “We have seen many teams in scrimmages over the summer, so there is also a familiarity among us. But the expectations for the team and SJAA are the same, be more competitive each week.”

Wayman has stressed the theme of improvement. The team has worked hard to show their growth from Spring practices to Summer workouts.

Wayman told The Prowl, “Our focus during the off-season and summer was two-fold. Offensively we want to get better in the execution of our offense. We wanted to utilize the abilities of Namir Brown-Sanger (returning VOL All-Utility Player), Chris Buttram (VOL 1st Team All-League), and several other returning players in more of the offensive game. Offensive Coordinator Clay Buttram has made a difference in our offensive players (especially our returning Offensive Line) to make this happen. Defensively, our focus was on implementing a defensive package that could contain and stop the majority of spread offenses in the SJAA. Defensive Coordinator Luis Ruiz has made some key changes this year. Behind the returning leadership of Chris Buttram, Brown-Sanger, and new addition to Varsity, Josh Mellion, our secondary should be focused. Plus, the D-Line this season be anchored by returning (VOL 1st Team Defensive Lineman) Alex Walker.”

The Cougars will suit up 35 players this year, a tremendous improvement in numbers over the past three years. In addition to Brown-Sanger, Buttram, Mellion, and Walker, the Cougars will have more depth and look for those players to fill in the gaps.

“We have a great group of sophomores (Sam Frazier, Landon Baptist, Jordan Paris, and Robert Richard) who definitely will make an impact,” Wayman said. “Jose Aguilar will be stepping in for Noah Deed at starting QB after Noah moved to Hawaii. Jose has shown many of his older brother and VOL standout Amier Bowen’s abilities. Finally, there are the twin speedsters, De’Antae and De’Andre Lavin; if we can spring them loose, it will be fun to watch.”

After several years of struggling with youth and inexperience, this year’s football team looks ready to break out. Fans can expect more excitement and perhaps more victories.

“This year’s team is different,” Wayman concluded. “There is a different and positive vibe from and about them. For many, this is their 3rd season together and my 3rd season with them. They embraced something weird three years ago and were led by a slightly passionate new coach. This year is the closest, most hard-working, honest, and passionate team I have ever coached. Their endless hours in the weight room and on the practice field are second to none and have shown through our prep for playing under the Friday Night Lights. To every player, I could not be prouder of them, and I am blessed to be their coach. To our fans, come out and join us starting at 5 pm with our JV Team (they are extremely talented) and then for the Varsity game at 7 pm. But more importantly, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED.”

Any reproduction of this story without permission from The Prowl is discouraged.