Manteca Soroptimists Honor Nachel Sandhu

Nachel+Sandhu
Nachel Sandhu

“If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe that you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.”
― Dr. Roopleen

Weston Ranch High School Senior Nachel Sandhu was awarded the Manteca Soroptimist Club Female of the Month, and the words from Dr. Rooplean are perfect to describe the talents of one of Weston Ranch’s bright stars.

The Soroptimist Club is a global volunteer organization that provides women and girls access to the education and training they need to achieve economic empowerment (soroptimist.org). The teachers nominated Sandhu at Weston Ranch, and the Manteca Club chose her as Weston Ranch’s representative.

“I’m really appreciative the teachers thought about me for this honor,” Sandhu said. “I’ve always loved helping others, and I love to give more than I receive.”

To say she gives more than she receives is a mild understatement. Since the first day she walked onto the campus, Sandhu has dedicated her time serving and promoting the school. And she has built up quite the resume.

Nachel played volleyball all four years and served as a team captain each year. In addition, she has been in JROTC all four years and served as Battalion Commander each year. She has been an active member of Weston Ranch’s CSF (California Scholastic Federation) and currently resides as the club’s vice president. Finally, Sandhu is part of the Cougars Advisory Team and will lead the First Annual Multi-Cultural Week from March 28 to April 1.

“Nachel Sandhu is the battalion commander of one of the most successful JROTC programs in northern California, the WRHS Cougar Battalion,” said her JROTC commander LTC Michael Cerezo. “Nachel’s leadership style is one of influence, which draws others to her and creates a big difference in the lives of others. Her demeanor is professional, bright, confident, and she takes the initiative.”

And these are just some of the things she does as a student.

Her off-campus commitments are just as impressive. Sandhu has logged community service hours in nursing homes, churches, and Weston Ranch. Currently, she is helping plan a blood drive for the Stockton community.

“Nachel is a kind and outgoing person who is polite, mature, and knows how to conduct herself,” Cerezo added. “Her good personal magnetism stemmed from her ability to communicate with teachers, administrators, and students.”

Sandhu maintains a 4.09 GPA and hopes to pursue post-secondary education at West Point or Texas A & M. Big ambitions for any student, but they don’t seem to be out of her reach. She will follow her dreams and leave no stone unturned.

“I want to continue in military service, but I’m keeping my options open,” Sandhu said.

Cerezo added, “Nachel’s motivations for attending West Point include possibilities for leadership and followership, obtaining a Psychology/STEM degree to help her become a positive and psychological effect on others, and the ability to serve as a United States Army officer in both peacetime and warfare and she expects the same from her post-secondary ambition of attending the United States Military Academy, West Point, NY.”

Sandhu will continue to lead this campus for the next three months and hopes others will build upon her work after she leaves. She has noticed terrific things happening on the campus and is proud of her legacy.

“The campus involvement has grown and exceeded my expectations this year,” she said. “We’ve done a great job of changing our campus culture and getting rid of the negative perception sometimes associated with Weston Ranch. We have such a diverse campus and a rich culture, and I’m grateful for Weston Ranch.”