SWIMMING: Girls Get Historic First Win Against East Union; Boys Fall Short

The Weston Ranch girls swim team beat East Union 61-29 on Friday, February 25, 2022, at Weston Ranch. Not only was it their first win of the year, but it also marked the first time Weston Ranch has defeated East Union in the pool in the history of the girls’ program.

“All the girls swam really well and came together as a team to bring home our first-ever win over East Union,” said head coach Clayton Basepayne.

Samantha Smith took home 1st in the 100 free and 2nd in the 50 free. Vada Hayselden took 2nd in both of her races, the 200 free and the 100 back. Freshman Emma Walter took home 2nd in the 100 Breaststroke as well. Finally, Allyson Pascual took home a pair of top 3 finishes by winning the 200 free and coming in the 3rd in the 100 back.

The same could not be said for the boys’ team. Unfortunately, the Weston Ranch boys were not as successful in their outing on Friday. The Lancers overpowered the Cougar boys 50-38. However, there were some significant achievements for the boys team.

Paul Castor, Omar Diaz, and Izik Meleza took 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the 200 free while Antonio Kilgore placed 3rd in the 100 free. Diaz and Jose Mejia finished 2nd and 3rd in the 100 back. Ian Walter, Kilgore, Castor, and Meleza placed 1st in the 200 free relays, and Kilgore, Castor, Meleza, and Mejia took 1st in the 400 free relays.

Basepayne added, “The boys have come a long way in the last two weeks, and I believe that we will improve on our first performance and only get stronger as the season continues.”

Both the girls and boys teams will be back in the pool on March 4 at Sierra High School, where they will swim against West High School and the host Sierra. Races begin at 4:30.