Gaming Corner: Releases and Updates

If you haven’t already seen or don’t want to spend 40 minutes looking at many game announcements, a Nintendo Direct went live Wednesday, February 9.

In my opinion, it’s one of the best directs and, I’m not alone in thinking that. Some big games were announced, with most coming later this year. Not everything will be listed here, but it is a great list.

It starts with the announcement of Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes coming June 24, 2022. No Mans Sky is finally coming to Nintendo Switch this Summer, all of the updates included. It may look too good for it to be a switch game, but so far, it seems to run natively and not on the cloud because if you look closely, the graphics are downgraded.

Mario Strikers is finally back for the first time in almost 15 years, the last game being on the Wii. It’s a Mario soccer/football game that’s a lot of fun, especially when you can play with eight people. Mario Strikers Battle League arrives June 10 with pre-orders already available.

Front Mission remake 1 and 2, a tactical RPG, are coming to Switch. Front Mission 1 is coming this Summer, and Front Mission 2 is coming in the future. A new free-to-play Disney and Pixar racing game is coming this Summer. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is coming on April 20, and pre-orders are now available. The Ezio Collection is a game that lets you play through events in history, and it arrived on February 17. Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition is coming on April 7.

It’s been announced that Kirby can become a car, a vending machine, and more in Kirby and the Forgotten Land coming next month on March 25 and available for pre-orders available now. In addition, portal Companion Collection includes portals 1 and 2, coming later this year.

Nintendo Switch Sports has news as well. It’s a new iteration of the best-selling Wii Sports coming April 29, but an online playtest is available now. New Cuphead DLC arrives June 30. In addition, a free update is available now for Metroid Dread, including a new Rookie mode for players that makes the game a bit easier and a challenging Dread mode. One hit, and it’s game over, making it extremely difficult and perfect for players that want to test their skills. A second free update in April will add a boss rush mode.

Earthbound 1 and 2 have arrived at NES and SNES Switch online apps. In addition, the new Mario Kart 8 DLC is coming in waves for the next two years, adding 48 new tracks, basically doubling what’s in the game. It will be included in Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pass at no additional cost, with wave one coming on March 18.

In the end, Xenoblade 3 is announced later this year in September. Although, with its stunning views and story, it’ll connect the future of Xenoblade 1 and 2, let’s hope this game can get its mechanics improved from Xenoblade 2.

This year so far looks incredible, with lots of fun to be had, especially since the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is also coming later this year.