Class Spotlight: PLUS and Peer Resources

Mrs. Chavez and her PLUS class held their first forum of the Term on February 2. In addition, PLUS conducts conferences in the campus library on the first Wednesday of every month. PLUS Meetings are used to break down barriers and build a community amongst students at our school.

PLUS (Peer Leaders Uniting Students) conducts forums in the campus library. The purpose of PLUS is to help students understand they are not alone. You may wonder how the forums work, so PLUS forums are conducted and led by students where they work with a group of 40-50 randomly picked students, the invited students, and the leaders participate in activities that allow them to get to know each other as well as work in small groups to discuss problems and issues that may occur on campus and how they can solve them.

The randomly chosen students from all grades get to know each other and see the commonalities and differences they have. They then look at students’ problems and possible solutions to combat them. They then commit to follow through on the solutions throughout the school year.

Peer Resource is a program that began five years ago, where peer Resource students meet with struggling students in their classes once or twice every week. The 40-50 students that get picked will also work with the severely handicapped twice a month. The PLUS began four years ago, and their goal is to reach out to all students by the time they graduate.

“PLUS is such a great program run by amazing kids who really care about other students,” said adviser Deborah Chavez.

PLUS and Peer Resource are tremendous resources for our students here at Weston Ranch. If you want to get involved, please see Mrs. Chavez.