Start with Hello Hopes to Help

Cougars, have you seen the “Start with Hello” posters around campus? Start with Hello is part of the Sandy Hook Promise. 

Their website, “sandyhookpromise.org,” states: As someone who cares deeply about children, you may know social isolation is a very real epidemic. It can cause kids to pull away and, in severe situations, even hurt themselves or others. Start With Hello is one of Sandy Hook Promise’s no-cost Know the Signs programs and teaches students to be more socially inclusive and connected to each other. With activities and curricula available for all ages, students are empowered to end social isolation in three easy steps.

Sandy Hook Promise is a nonprofit organization that plans to reach out to America. Some of the organization’s founders are family members whose loved ones were killed in the tragedy that happened on December 14, 2012, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. The Sandy Hook Promise is an organization designed to protect America’s children from gun violence in honor of the precious lives lost at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The “Start with Hello” posters were placed to support their message and encourage all students to greet others with kind and respectful words. This simple act is all you may need for you and your peers to break many people’s social isolation.  

With all that being said, you have the power to make a change in someone’s life, whether on campus or not. So make the best choices and be the best you, “Start with Hello.” 

For more information, please visit:

Start With Hello — Sandy Hook Promise