BOYS SOCCER: Cougars Capture Two Wins-Showdown with East Union Friday Night

Boys soccer defeated Manteca 5-0 on January 24, and Central Catholic 8-0 last night. Weston Ranch moved their record to 18-3-3 overall and 8-0-1 in the VOL with the wins.

Last Friday’s win over Manteca saw the Cougars score all five goals in the first half. Mauricio Morales scored the first goal in the first minute, but the Cougars would have to wait until the 29th minute to get the next one. Morales netted his second of the night and then watched his teammates knock home goals 3, 4, and 5 in the next four minutes. Although they didn’t score in the second half, the Cougars put the game safely away from the first-half efforts.

“We started off a little rusty but got going as the game progressed,” head coach Francisco Cisneros told The Prowl.

Last night’s 8-0 victory over Central Catholic was dominant from start to finish. The Cougars got two goals apiece from Sergio Garcia and Ivan Guerra. Angel Zapata, Aaron Martinez, and Ernesto Cruz rounded out the scoring with one goal apiece.

“It was a great team win,” Cisneros said.

The 13 goals by Weston Ranch ran their total goals scored to 90. The Cougars are led by Angel Zapata’s 18 and Alexis Chavez’s 16. Zapata also leads the Cougars in assists with 12. Chavez and Josemaria Barrera follow with ten assists apiece.

Weston Ranch faces East Union tomorrow night at East Union. The game will be the first time they have met each other since the January 10 meeting. That game ended controversially as the Cougars appeared to score the game-winning goal as time expired, but the officials waved it off after a lengthy debate. Since the tie, both the Cougars and the Lancers have rattled off five-straight wins, setting the stage for tomorrow’s big showdown.

“We have three huge games coming up,” Cisneros said. “EU on Friday, Oakdale on Monday, and Sierra on Wednesday. The last two wins got us three points in the standings and put us in a first-place tie with East Union,” Cisneros said.

Tomorrow’s game at East Union begins at 6:45.