Cougar Basketball Ready for Late Night Madness

Tonight at Weston Ranch, fans of Cougar basketball will get their first glimpse of the 2021-2022 girls and boys basketball teams at the annual Late Night Madness.

Late Night Madness returns to the campus after a year off due to the COVID shutdown. The last time WR hosted their version of the pre-season showcase was 2019, and while the surroundings of Cougar Nation will be the same, both programs will walk onto the court with different coaches and new rosters.

Both the girls’ and the boys’ programs will take the floor under new direction. Damion McMiller will guide the girls, and Nicholas Podesta will oversee the boys. McMiller takes over a program that was 11-15 overall and 2-10 in the VOL the last time the Lady Cougars took the floor officially. Podesta takes the reins of one of the Sac-Joaquin Section powers and one that happens to be the defending Div II Northern California State Champions.

“As a coach, I am glad to be able to get back on the hardwood for some hoops,” McMiller told The Prowl. “The girls’ team is a work in progress, and we are just looking to compete, play hard, and be a good teammate. We look forward to seeing what this season holds to see the growth in these Lady Cougars.”

The boys’ basketball team will look to establish a new identity. Fans can expect the quick pace and pressure defense, but it will come from new faces. Hoping to step into one of the roles is junior guard Elliot Mobley. The last time Mobley was on the floor was as a freshman, and he knows his contribution will be critical to the program’s success this year. He also sees tonight as the first step in the team’s drive to win the VOL.

“I’m excited to have a full season,” Mobley said. “Tonight will be fun, and it will be great to see our fans in the stands. The skills challenge should be entertaining.”

The Lady Cougars will also have new faces and will count on junior Kimani Wilburn to be the leader. Like Mobley, this will be her first time back on the floor, and she can’t wait to get the season underway.

“I’m super excited to get back into basketball mode,” Wilburn said. “We’re excited to see everyone in Cougar Nation.”

Late Night Madness begins at 7 pm in the gymnasium. Tickets are $5, and fans can expect to see a skills challenge, 3-point contest, and scrimmages from the boys and girls varsity teams.

Any reproduction of this story without permission from The Prowl is discouraged.