Yellow Ribbon Week: Peer Resources Raise Awareness

September is the month where we acknowledge suicide prevention. The Weston Ranch High school’s Peer Resource class, led by Deborah Chavez, a peer resource and English teacher, have come together to acknowledge and recognize those who sadly have passed away from suicide and help prevent suicide. Peer Resources will make their Yellow Ribbon presentations to all students and staff on September 28.

What is the Yellow Ribbon, and what does it signify? The Yellow Ribbon is a Suicide Prevention Program dedicated to preventing suicide and attempts by making suicide prevention accessible to everyone and removing barriers. It was founded in 1994 by two loving parents and friends of Mike Emme. Mike Emme was a 17-year-old high school student who took his life in his yellow Mustang, a car he cherished and lovingly restored. Mike was described as a loving, funny, and bright teen. After his death, words said by his family – “please don’t do this, please talk to someone” were put on bright yellow paper along with phone numbers / who to call to get help. Teens pinned yellow ribbons on 500 slips of those yellow papers for his services, and at the end, all were gone. Teens began to mail them ‘everywhere’ to friends and loved ones.

The Yellow Ribbon suicide prevention program is dedicated to preventing suicide by helping people do better and giving them support. The program has saved over about 123,168 lives by providing inspiration, motivation, and showing awareness.

Weston Ranch came up with the idea to inspire and show awareness by giving presentations, a scavenger hunt, and doing activities in the quad at lunch on September 16. The scavenger hunt was held on Tuesday, September 21, 2021, at lunch. In addition, students in the Peer Resource class have printed small yellow ribbons for each student at Weston Ranch, and once you find your ribbon, you can go to Mrs. Chavez’s room for a lollipop. On Thursday, September 23, 2021, there were activities to help bring awareness to suicide and suicide prevention during lunchtime. , Next Tuesday, September 28, 2021, the Peer Resource class had decided to show understanding by offering a balloon release for those who have recently passed in the San Joaquin County from 2020-21.

Overall, Weston Ranch wanted to show awareness and let students know that there is always help available. Asking your peers or talking to a teacher will help. Our peer resource class offered valuable and helpful resources and activities during lunch to raise awareness and a place for students to be heard.  If you feel you need help, use these resources immediately:

yellowribbon.org