eSports: Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!

Omar+Mendoza
Omar Mendoza

eSports, a club for gamers and fans of video games, hosted its first Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Tournament. Omar Mendoza walked away as the grand champion after posting a perfect 4-0 record.

The eSports club is new on the campus this year. Focusing on popular games, the club brings the top gamers on campus together in one room for friendly competition and to create a gamer community. So far, the club has proven to be an exciting opportunity for the students here at Weston Ranch.

“We are starting slowly with a small Smash Bros. tournament,” said club adviser and math teacher Rebecca Hunter. “We’re working on getting internet access for other game platforms like the Nintendo Switch and access the county competitive leagues are using, like Rocket League and League of Legends.”

eSports club president Ryan Hunter and vice president Ulises Rodriguez have worked diligently to get the eSports team up and running. It wouldn’t be possible without their hard work and determination.

The Smash Tournament had ten players in the tournament, and there were some very experienced players. Mendoza walked away victorious while Ryan Hunter took second place and Kay Cardoro finished third.

The club’s current games list are Apex Legends, Rocket League, Fortnite, Smash Ultimate, and League of Legends. Future game options for the club include Call of Duty Warzone and Fortnite.

While the club still has logistics to work out, computers are being worked on so all our players can use computers for the competitive competitions against other schools, eSports is living up to the hype. So get ready to pick up your controllers because the games are about to start.

eSports meets Tuesdays in room 406 during lunch. All are invited to come to watch, learn, and play.