Staying Hydrated Helps Keep You Happy

With summer around the corner and the heat rising, we notice the fatigue the heat is creating. But it isn’t necessarily the heat making us feel tired but the dehydration it causes to our bodies. Our bodies sweat to keep us cool, and within that sweating process, you tend to lose a lot of water and salt. So, it is vital to stay hydrated and drink a lot of water this summer.

According to The Harvard School of Public Health, drinking enough water each day is crucial for many reasons: to regulate body temperature, keep joints lubricated, prevent infections, deliver nutrients to cells, and keep organs functioning properly. Being well-hydrated also improves sleep quality, cognition, and mood.

However, staying hydrated does not just end with drinking water. Other healthy alternatives that will help keep your body hydrated consist of berries, watermelon, salad, and other foods rich in water. For example, watermelons contain 93% water, and salads and berries hold 90% water. Eating foods rich in water is a great way to stay hydrated all day long.

But it’s best to stay away from sugar-sweetened beverages when trying to stay hydrated, says Walter Willett, professor of epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. In a September 28, 2017, CNN article, Willett said that Americans are “conditioned to expect high levels of sweetness in everything…. You might say we are malhydrated because we drink so much soda and fruit juice and other sugar-sweetened beverages, and by that, I mean we drink beverages that harm our health. Even energy drinks and vitamin waters, most are loaded with sugar and not worth the use.”

The necessity of understanding how to maintain good hydration becomes even more critical for good health. Drink water, eat foods rich in water and vitamins, and stay away from drinks high in sugar, and you will find yourself ready to brave the heat.

Sources contributing to this story:

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/life/wellness

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news

ttps://www.sleepadvisor.org/why-heat-makes-you-sleepy