Boys Soccer Starts Season with a Tie

Soccer returned to the WRHS campus last night. The Cougars hosted Oakdale and looked to get the abbreviated Spring season off with a big kick. The Cougars, the defending VOL champions, got a goal halfway through the first half and added one in the second. The two goals couldn’t hold off the Mustangs, who scored once in the first and once in the second, eventually tying 2-2 as the final buzzer sounded.

Getting back on the field was great, but the year-long layoff had some visible effects. However, once the game began, the instincts took over, and the Cougars notched the game’s first goal.

Dannick Hernandez opened the scoring at 15 minutes. Hernandez received a brilliant pass from Alexis Chavez, and the Cougars went up one-nil. Oakdale answered five minutes later, and the two teams walked off the field at half time tied 1-1. Remembering their hard-fought 1-0 victory over the Mustangs last February, the Cougars looked towards the second half and hoped to increase the lead.

In the second half, Josemaria Barrera put the Cougars in front, scoring on a penalty kick. But, just as quickly as the Cougars got in front in the first half and gave up the equalizer, Oakdale answered seven minutes later and tied the game at two, where it would end up at the conclusion.

Coach Francisco Cisneros let The Prowl know that it’s early and it will take a few more games to come together.

“It was our first game of the year, so we were a little rusty,” Cisneros said.

But, Cisneros knows his team and knows the Cougars have talent. He added, “Sergio “James” Garcia had an outstanding game at defensive mid. He really understands our system of play and seems to make the right play almost every time.

The Cougars will be home again this Thursday, and they will take on East Union. The Lancers and the Cougars battled down to the wire last year for the VOL title, and both teams will be ready for the long-awaited showdown.

“It’s a rivalry game for us,” Cisneros said. “It will be a big game for both schools.”

WRHS will host both the JV and Varsity this Thursday. The JV will begin at 4 pm, and the Varsity will start a 5:45.