Where are They Now?

Joe+Contreras%0A
Joe Contreras

The Prowl is proud to share the second story in our new feature: “Where are they now?” We couldn’t be happier to share the story of Joe Contreras.  Joe is a Weston Ranch graduate (Class of 2017) and is currently an undergraduate student at Vanguard University of Southern California and will graduate in May. The Prowl asked Contreras to share his story.

“I am currently on my last semester at Vanguard University of Southern California, located in beautiful Costa Mesa, California, studying communication with an emphasis in technology and emerging media and minors in both theology and journalism.

I have been a part of the Student Government Association since my freshmen year. In my first year, I was elected as the Freshmen Senator representing the freshmen class to administration. The following year I was hired as the Vice President of Finance and Policy holding the third-highest student leadership position at the university as a sophomore. At the end of my second year, I was elected to become the Student Government Association President, and I am currently serving out my second term as president.

I went from being the voice of the cougars to the voice of the lions. In my first two years, I became the public address announcer for Vanguard athletics. During my junior year, I transitioned into a mixture of public address announcing and live stream commentary for all home athletic games. Additionally, I have been an official for intramural programs such as flag football, basketball, and volleyball.

Outside of academics, I currently serve at a local church on the multimedia team. I am the host of two podcasts called “Leadership and Theology with a Cup of Joe” and “The Joe Show with Joe Contreras” coming soon.

As I prepare to graduate from college, I am reminded of all the great memories and opportunities I had at Weston Ranch High School. Through the student board member’s role, I grew a passion for advocating for students to administration. I am not sure which career field I will end up in, but I consider sports broadcasting, ministry, organizational development, or education. Regardless of what area I end up in, I am passionate about empowering future leaders.

I would love to share with WRHS students that you were created with a purpose and for a purpose, and now is the time to live out that purpose. Everyone could make a difference in the world, so think about what gifts and skills you have that could change the world around you. Choose to be the light amid such darkness in this world. You could achieve anything you put your mind to; the first step is to have it on your mind and then take the steps needed to achieve your dreams.”

The Prowl wishes Joe all the best for continued success. Thank you for the time you gave, and Weston Ranch High School is proud of you.