NBA Ready for Action

The NBA season starts on December 22, 2020. Just two months after concluding the 2019-2020 season, teams will be back on the court for a new season.

On Tuesday, December 22, the Nets take on the Warriors, and Net’s guard Kevin Durant gets to match up against his former team after spending a year on the injured list. The Warriors, looking to bounce back after falling to the bottom of the standings, sadly lost their guard Klay Thompson due to a torn right Achilles tendon, which raises questions on when he will return after missing last season. Along with the Nets game, the defending champ Los Angeles Lakers take on the Clippers continuing their heated rivalry. After a disappointing exit in the 2020 playoffs, the Clippers look to redeem themselves as they take another shot at the NBA title.

Throughout the offseason (again, not the typical offseason), many teams made significant changes to their roster. The Oklahoma City Thunder have continued to gather first-round picks through trades with other teams, and they have also shipped Chris Paul to the Phoenix Suns in return for Ricky Rubio, Kelly Oubre Jr, and a 2022 first-round pick. Eventually, the Thunder would send Oubre to the Warriors for two draft picks. The Lakers signed Anthony Davis and LeBron James to max extensions, while on the other hand, the Clippers signed Paul George to a max extension. The Bucks sent their guards Eric Bledsoe and George Hill to the Pelicans for guard Jrue Holiday to provide extra help and leadership alongside the reigning MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo.

This upcoming season will see a change in the number of games played, going from their regular 82-game season to 72 instead. Unlike last season, teams will not play in the NBA bubble. Instead, they will play in their home arenas. While it is still unclear whether fans will be able to watch their favorite teams and players in the arenas, the NBA is ready to begin again.