COVID-19 Background and Update

COVID-19 is caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The disease was first identified in Wuhan, Hubei, China, in December of 2019 (medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronavirus-causes). It has thus become a pandemic. The United States started quarantine protocols to combat the spread of COVID-19 on March 13, 2020, and as of now, September 18, 2020, we are still in quarantine. Six months later, we are still in lockdown.

While a vaccine is in a trial stage to help stop the disease’s spread, no one knows when it will be ready. There has been an estimated date, ranging from early Fall of 2020 and the beginning of 2021 (npr.org), but will it work? And will enough people understand it is a vaccine to prevent the spread and is not a cure?

Enough people must agree to take the vaccine, but as of now, people are saying they will not allow their children nor themselves to get the vaccine, and this will be an issue should a vaccine arrive. There is already a great deal of skepticism regarding vaccines in general, but is a vaccine for Coronavirus the exception to vaccinations’ arguments?

Will everything go back to how it was? No one knows if it will but hopefully, over time, we can live our everyday lives, going to the grocery store without a mask, hanging out with friends, going to amusement parks, and concerts.

We have to be vigilant. While some areas seem to be taking control, other sites continue to be in dangerous situations. While things seem to calm down for a bit, and people relax and resume normal activities, there seem to spike in confirmed cases after the holidays. Last week was Labor Day, which probably means there will be a spike in cases in about a week or two because it takes 14 days to start showing symptoms of Covid-19 officially.

Please continue to follow protocols:

Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub, Maintain at least six feet distance between you and people coughing or sneezing, Avoid touching your face, cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, stay home if you feel unwell,
Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs, Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people.