Gavin Wilburn Named Athlete of the Year

Senior Gavin Wilburn walked onto the Weston Ranch High School campus four years ago with a lot to prove. Wilburn, already on the radars of basketball aficionados, coaches, and hoops fans, was aware of the hype and did not disappoint. Four years of Cougar basketball, a list of accomplishments and awards too numerous to rattle off without notes, and a walk that backed up the talk paid off for Wilburn as he was named Weston Ranch High School’s Athlete of the Year last Monday.

What more can you say about Gavin Wilburn that has not been spoken, written, or captured on video already? In the case of “G Wil,” there is much more to say.

Of course, we can talk about Wilburn the basketball player. In his four years at Weston Ranch, here’s what he did: VOL MVP, four-time All-VOL 1st Team, two-time 1st Team All-State, three-time Stockton Record 1st Team, Modesto Christian Tournament MVP, 2020 Weston Ranch Team MVP, and, of course, Weston Ranch’s Athlete of the Year for 2019-2020. In addition to the individual honors, Wilburn was part of the Cougar juggernaut, also know as Weston Ranch Basketball. As a member of the Cougars, Gavin helped contribute to a VOL championship, a Sac-Joaquin Section Championship, a spot in the Open Division State Playoffs, and this year was crowned a Nor-Cal Division II champion. That’s a pretty impressive four years. And, the person who got the best view of Wilburn’s career was head coach Chris Teevan.

“Gavin will go down as the most decorated and accomplished athlete to ever walk the halls of 4606 Mccuen Drive,” coach Teevan told The Prowl. “An elite player, teammate, and young man, the only thing that will outshine his growth and success as a Cougar, will be his growth and success in his future endeavors. Gavin will always be a Weston Ranch Cougar, and nobody will ever wear the number 32 again.”

On the other hand, there is the other side of Wilburn not many people got to see off the court. While he was amazing to watch on the basketball court, he was equally as impressive to watch as a student and young person. He is smart, humble, and compassionate. Wilburn filled the classroom with a brightness. When he walked in, students took notice. Yes, because he was a star, but also because when he spoke, we wanted to listen. A true leader doesn’t have to be vocal as Wilburn is very quiet and reserved, but his aura captured the room, and when he spoke, students followed his messages. Wilburn proved you could be great at two things: You can be great as an athlete, and you can be great as a human being.

Weston Ranch High School basketball will go on without Wilburn. It will certainly be strange to see the Cougars next year without #32 roaming the floor. People came to see him. He was worth the price of the ticket. He made his teammates better, and his teammates made him better. That’s the dynamics of a great team. So, what’s next for Wilburn?

“I’m still undecided on a college for next year,” Wilburn told The Prowl. “My career at Weston Ranch was fun and had its ups and downs, but it was fun. I thank my coaches from AAU and in high school. I thank my family for pushing me and believing in me, and I thank my teammates for riding through with me.”

Dr. Amit Ray, an author and teacher, had this to say about leaders: “Great leaders have three things; inner light, inner vision, and inner strength.” And to this, we say thank you, Gavin, for letting us see the whole you.

Congratulations to Gavin on his much-deserved award of Athlete of the Year. The Prowl salutes you and wishes you the best of luck.

Gavin Wilburn with his mom and dad
Another dunk for Wilburn

Gavin Wilburn looks for another fast break
Gavin Wilburn surrounded by family and coaches Teevan and Menzel