Cougar Basketball’s Coach Teevan Offers Message of Thanks

Coach+Eddie+Menzel+and+head+Coach+Chris+Teevan+
Coach Eddie Menzel and head Coach Chris Teevan

Weston Ranch finished the season on Tuesday night, March 10. The Cougars beat St. Patricks-St. Vincent 62-61 and planned on finishing the season against Southern California’s Champion St. Francis for the overall state championship. Unfortunately for both Weston Ranch and St. Francis, both will have to be satisfied with the NorCal/SoCal titles as the CIF canceled the final game due to the COVID-19 virus. It was an excellent year for Cougar basketball. The following is a letter penned by head coach Chris Teevan.

“Dear Cougar Nation,

As of 9 o’clock this morning (March 12), we were informed that the state title games are to be canceled. Weston Ranch, along with the other qualifiers, will not get the opportunity to compete for a state championship due to health concerns of the COVID-19 virus.

Obviously, this situation is out of the hands of everyone, and the health and safety of our students come first and foremost. This is an unprecedented situation, and if deemed unsafe to play, the CIF made the decision to eliminate all risks by canceling the tournament.

To have to tell our kids, especially our three seniors, that they’ve played their last game in maroon and black is difficult. The contributions that Jordahn Johnson, Titus Haley, and Gavin Wilburn are legendary, illustrious, and will be celebrated forever. Titus and Gavin have played four years of varsity basketball, become VOL champions, Section Champions, Open Division qualifiers, and Northern California Division II Champions. Although these three have played their last game as a Cougar, their future is even brighter than their time here.

Over the past four seasons, our 2020 class has combined to bring 92 wins to our Weston Ranch program. They have elevated it from a good program to elite. Even in their last game together, all three were on the floor at the end, making just enough plays to make sure the team won, as they have throughout their time here. These three players go out not only as winners but as champions.

Thank you, Cougar Nation, for all our your support this season and continued support going forward. Thank you to all school staff, administration, coaches, parents, and players. It was a truly rewarding and special season that will be unforgettable over time.

Chris Teevan”

NorCal D II State Champions
Mi’Son Coilton and Gavin Wilburn
Jordahn Johnson
Titus Haley