Weston Ranch Students get Head Start on College

Dual Enrollment Students

The prospect of going to college is a daunting entity to consider. Weston Ranch, in partnership with San Joaquin Delta College, is trying to help students get a leg up and perhaps alleviate some of the stress regarding going to and attending college.

Delta College currently uses the Weston Ranch High School library to host its Dual Enrollment Program. It is a free program offered by SJDC to students of Weston Ranch High School, and it is designed to allow students to take a college course to gain credits for both college and high school. It is also a way to help students get their Bachelor’s degree.

Currently, there are 58 students enrolled in the program, and at the moment, 50 of them are Weston Ranch High School students. The classes rotate courses every term to help earn the credits needed or credits they play to apply to their future college. Sociology is the current class offered. Students can enroll in Summer classes as well, with some of those courses available here on the Weston Ranch campus.

To enroll in this class, you must have good grades, be in good standing with the school, and fill out the College Early Start Form. If you choose to take a summer course, Lathrop High is the designated site. Unfortunately, there is no transportation to LHS, but everything is provided to those who enroll in the program.

This program became available to students on campus about two years ago. The current class is online based, but there are some whole group meetings. If you are interested, come to the office and pick up a form today. See Mr. Farrell or any of the counselors for more information.

The Prowl wants to thank Mr. Farrell for sharing this information.