Students Supporting the Troops

Students in Mr. Burns’ English classes are sending holiday packages to troops overseas.

A representative with Cpl. Palmer III Memorial Troop Support Program visited the students in room 107 on Friday morning to discuss the support program and pick up bags created by the students in my English I and II classes. The packages contain beef jerky and nuts, hard candy and gum, unscented wipes and DVDs, as well as postage and a personalized letter from nearly every student.

“Though not everyone was able to put together a bag, they were all encouraged to write letters, under the guise that their words might be the only communication from him some soldiers receive over the holidays,” Mr. Burns said. “Once again, I’m proud of their sense of community and service and feel blessed to be a Cougar. These kids had such a great time with the Thanksgiving project they wanted to find other ways to help.”

Army veteran and Gold Star father Charles Palmer visited with the students in Room 107 on Friday morning. Palmer spoke about the Cpl. Palmer II Memorial Troop Support Program, which has provided care packages and support for active soldiers and veterans for the last 11 years. The students in Room 107 put together holiday packages for the troops overseas and presented them to Palmer on Friday. With the help of many, Palmer began the Memorial Troop Support Program in honor of his son, Charles Palmer II, a Marine who was killed in action.

English II students Walter Ramos, German Murrillo, Gurshawn Kang and Yurijah Chua pose with Army veteran Charles Palmer of the Cpl. Palmer II Memorial Troop Support Program.
The holiday packages included beef jerky and nuts, hard candy and gum, DVDs and unscented wipes, as well as postage and a personalized letter.
Army veteran and Gold Star father Charles Palmer speaks with Weston Ranch students on Friday morning after picking up holiday packages for troops overseas. The packages were prepared by the students in Room 107.