Basketball Ready to Showcase Talent

The Weston Ranch boys basketball teams will begin their marches towards VOL supremacy tonight and tomorrow, starting with Late Night Madness tonight and scrimmages tomorrow. Both events will take place in our gymnasium.

Tonight, the boys’ basketball teams will be hosting “Late Night Madness.” The event was cancelled last year due to the overwhelming smoke created by area wildfires. Tonight’s show will be the first opportunity for students and the community to get together for an exciting time together, full of entertainment. There will be a dunking contest, 3- point contest, scrimmages, raffles, and audience participation in some of the events. The Freshman team will be scrimmaging against the JV team, and the varsity team will be split in half, scrimmaging against each other.

“Friday night should be an extraordinary night as far as community involvement with the team,” an excited head coach Chris Teevan said from the Cougar basketball offices. “Due to air quality last year, we were not able to have Late Night Madness, so the kids are especially excited about it this year.”

Those in attendance can expect to see the Cougars in dunk contests, scrimmages, a game featuring the Junior Cougars, three-point contests, and raffles.

“Fans can expect to meet a lot of new players into the program, as there are many new faces, especially at the lower levels,” Teevan added.

On Saturday, the Cougars will host an outstanding day of great basketball competition. Twenty-five teams will be at Weston Ranch for a day filled with basketball.

Teevan added, “Some of the best teams in Northern California are competing. It will be a great opportunity for us to see our team for the first time, and to really prepare for the season as our first game is a week later.”

Helping the Cougars this year is Mr. Menzel, and he told The Prowl a few more details about Saturday’s scrimmage.

“There will be a scrimmage held here at the Weston Ranch High School big and small gyms for the Varsity boys,” said Menzel. “All of the teams will play two 15-minute halves with a running clock.”

Saturday’s scrimmages will begin at 8 am and continue throughout the day. Some of the best teams from around the area and the San Joaquin Valley will be in attendance. Fans of basketball are in for a treat.

Doors open tonight at 6 pm for Late Night Madness, and the events will begin at 7 pm. Tickets are $5 for adults, $4 for students with ID. Saturday’s scrimmages are also a pay to view the event. Tickets for Saturday are $5.