Seniors Learn Who Can Show Them the Money

Last week, the seniors at Weston Ranch had the opportunity to learn about, and take the first steps in securing financial aid as they consider secondary education after high school. The WRHS counseling department, along with a representative from Delta College, joined together the first week of October to meet prospective students and answer any questions the students may have.

For some, the prospect of going on to college is in itself a monumental decision, and when you factor in how to pay for college, the possibility gets more challenging. Hoping to ease the anxiety, our counselors put together the presentation.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form completed by current and prospective college students in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid. Basically, it is a way to discover who is eligible and how much are you eligible for.

“FAFSA is the first step in qualifying for grants, scholarship, and student loans, so it is vital that all seniors complete it!” said Ms. Carmona.

Carmona told The Prowl, “All counselors, with the help of the Financial Aid representative, helped seniors get their Financial Aid application (FAFSA) started. The first step that was completed was their FSA ID. This process is required for seniors and their parents to sign and submit their FAFSA electronically. The deadline is on March 2, but we are working towards getting most of our seniors’ applications submitted by December. In November, the Financial Aid Representative will return to meet with seniors in case they have questions regarding their FAFSA. And on December 10, we will hold a Financial Aid Night where families can come to our campus, get help on the application, and submit it.”

Current and prospective college students in the United States apply to FAFSA to determine their eligibility for student financial aid. While working on the FAFSA, students are encouraged to be careful and diligent as they explore their loan options.

Ms. Carmona, along with Mr. Farrell, Ms. Martinez, and Ms. Wheeler, met with 35 Weston Ranch seniors and helped them complete the first step in the application process. Comparing this process to the way it used to be, FAFSA applications are much easier and more convenient today because they can be completed online. However, the convenience of online applications still must meet the deadline.

“The deadline to turn in all applications is March 2,” Ms. Carmona warned. “Although the deadline is in March, we want our students to get this done by December.”

Carmona went on to say, “In November, the Financial Aid Representative will return to meet with seniors in case they have questions regarding their FAFSA. On December 10, we will hold a Financial Aid Night where families can come to our campus, get help on the application, and submit it!”

Seniors planning to attend college next year are encouraged to keep up with the dates and timelines. If you have any questions, please see your counselors.