Shamar Dacus Fulfills His Dream

In the middle of January, Shamar Dacus received the best news of his young life. West Point Academy informed Dacus he would be joining the incoming Cadets this fall. West Point is one of the most prestigious military academies in the United States and selects and takes only the best of the best. It is considered to be one of the hardest academies to qualify for.

During a visit to Weston Ranch, Army recruiters seemingly chose Dacus at random, and he was interviewed and given a questionnaire to fill out. They liked what he had put on the inquiry and sought if he was eligible to join by checking his SAT score and ASVAB score; ASVAB is a military test which can determine your potential and position serving in the military.

West Point requires that future cadets are expected to be U.S. citizens and between the ages of 17 and 23. A GPA of 3.73 is required to become one of their own. They also need all incoming cadets to pass a physical fitness exam, as well as being an outstanding leader on your high school campus. All things Dacus has excelled in while at Weston Ranch. The aspiring cadets must apply online and will have two medical exams, one is a physical exam to see if a person can move with little pain, and another review is for eyesight.

Once Dacus graduates from West Point, he will be commissioned as second lieutenant in the U.S. Army and is required to serve on active duty for five years. Dacus must spend another three years in the Inactive Ready Reserve.

Shamar plans to pursue a career in the military, stemming from a vision he had for himself during his junior year.

“Most people feel like it is out of their reach, but the worst that can happen is that they say no,” Dacus said about his dream and goals. “I pride my self on meeting new people and being respectful to everybody.”

“I’ve known Shamar from my first days on campus,” said Mr. Leland. “Hearing the news about Shamar was not surprising. He is an excellent student and young person. He had a dream, chased it down, and will exceed his and our expectations.”

Congratulations to Shamar Dacus on his acceptance to West Point. Our country is in safe hands knowing Shamar will be one of the cadets and soldiers in charge. We bid a fond farewell to him, and we know he will be successful.

Shamar Dacus reflects on his appointment