Baseball Bags First Victory

“Rain, rain, go away!” That’s been the chant, maybe the mantra, of most of our spring sports. But, the wanting of the rain to go away is probably most evident amongst the baseball players of Weston Ranch.

The Cougars got their wish last night and collected their first victory of the season at Hilmar High School. After dropping last Saturday’s opening season game on the road at Soledad High School, a 7-5 loss, the Cougars erupted for 11 runs en route to their victory.

“It’s good to get the first win, but we still have a lot of work to do,” said head coach, David Hager. “I think we could have played better, but that’s a good thing to believe because it means we can get better.”

Junior Gabriel Melgar started the game on the hill for the Cougars and went four solid innings, giving up two runs. Melgar left with the lead, but the Cougars surrendered the lead upon Melgar’s exit. Senior Anthony Faulk relieved Junior David Baca, who came in for Melgar and pitched the final two innings, earning the victory.

Offensively, the Cougars were led by Seniors Carlos Drain and Austin Cappas. Drain had three hits, including his first home run of the season, two RBI, scored three runs and stole two bases — not a bad start for the Senior. Cappas, who is in his third varsity year, also shined at the plate. Cappas had two hits with one triple.

The Cougars travel to Stagg High School tonight for a Friday night game. First pitch is 6 pm.