Gymnast Captures All-Around Title in Florida

WRHS Freshman Lydia Ornelas left Stockton on January 18th and returned home last Sunday the 20th an all-around champion of the Tampa Bay Turner’s Gymnastics Invitational.  Although this was Ornelas’s second competition of the six she plans to participate, she took the overall crown with a score of 36.175.

The day was long, and each event lasted about 60 minutes.  Lydia scored 9.2 in the vault, 9.025 on the bar exercises, struggled a bit on the beam with a score of 8.425, but then returned to championship form scoring a 9.525 during the floor exercises.  Except for the beam where she finished 7th, Ornelas finished 1st in the

Lydia Ornelas

vault, 2nd on the bar, and 2nd on the floor.  In total, Lydia faced an estimated 2,000 other gymnasts.  Pretty impressive.

For the past nine years, Lydia has practiced and sacrificed to compete at this high level.  She works out five days a week.  Balancing school and gymnastics seem to be pretty challenging.  Why does she do it?

“Gymnastics is really just my passion,” Ornelas said.  “It makes me happy.  It makes me who I am.”

She said she was inspired to take up gymnastics by watching YouTube videos of other aspiring gymnasts.  She believes her love and passion for gymnastics is what keeps her motivated.  Let’s hope her hard work, dedication, and motivation continues to shine.  Her next competition is the beginning of February in San Mateo.  Congratulations, Lydia.