Football Team Making Strides

Saying that our football players have faced adversity would be an understatement.  Not only have they endured a rough pre-season schedule where all games have been on the road, they have endured an offensive and defensive system change, as well as a mid-season coaching change.  This Friday, our Cougars will be home for the first time as they take on Kimball High School of Tracy at 7pm in Cougar Stadium.  Although they have a Varsity roster of 19 players, they still have plenty to play for and a chance to build a foundation for future Cougar football players.  Now is the time for optimism.

The Cougars currently are 1-4, with the lone win coming against Franklin, and 0-1 in league.  Friday’s contest will be the second league game in the very tough VOL.  There is hope and the outlook for this Friday and the rest of the season is heading in the positive direction.

Starting QB Amier Bowen looks to get back to his record-setting ways this Friday against the Jaguars of Kimball.  Bowen is coming back from an ankle injury suffered last Friday at Oakdale, but should be ready to guide the Cougars toward a victory.  Fletcher Pitts and Andrew Williams continue to shine at wide receiver and offer Bowen plenty of chances to put points on the board.  Manuel Torres and Duane Lilly will anchor the offensive line and will pledge to keep Bowen safe and give him time to throw the ball, a skill Bowen excelled at last year in former offensive coordinator Dustin Allen’s high-flying offense.

Defensively, the Cougars are led by Torres and Isaiah Maxie.

“This is a winnable game for us,” said interim head coach Marcelo Zamarripa.  “Anytime homecoming is involved, the game gets more exciting and means more to the players.”

Zamarripa takes over for former coach Kevin Breaker who was relieved of his responsibilities after the third week of the season.  The transition was rocky at first, but Zamarippa gave a lot of credit to his players and coaching staff for recent stabilization.  “The kids made it easy.  I have good relationships with the kids from being their coach at the JV level, so the move up to Varsity wasn’t too difficult.  Our coaches have worked extra hard with the kids and we seem to be making positive progress.”

Come on out Friday night and cheer on the Cougars.