PRO: Tablets Make Sense

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

Thrisha Reddy, Opinion Writer

By Thrisha Reddy

Imagine a world where everything is accessible by the touch of your finger… oh wait that seems to be our reality. With the use of electronic devices in the classroom, students are better fit to learn an extensive amount of information. Books are the weight that no teen wants to carry of their shoulders. The Internet and e-books allow answers to practically every question a child may have. Print text books are extremely heavy compared to tablets, and cause physical strain. From personal experience, I carry about 10 pounds every day from books and classroom equipment. This has caused extreme strain of my back and at one point messed my spine and I couldn’t turn my neck.

Tablets give access to much, like highlighting, and writing, that would typically defame a textbook. Books are terrible for classroom setting because it takes a long time to read and can strain your neck from looking down too much. Tablet allow for relief on neck strain hence having student read and soak in material faster. According to ProCon.org and Public Broadcasting Service “81% of K-12 teachers” believe that “tablets enrich classroom education.”

Tablets reduce waste and are more environmentally friendly. Physical text books waste paper and kill trees, which help the earth’s environment. Textbooks on tablets also cost 50-60% less than printed text books, this means a school can give that money to much more needed causes, like a better field. Many schools need to focus their profits on other things than books, when there is a better alternative. The publication Business Insider also believes that teachers gain ability to better monitor and direct their students.

With simple text books, teachers have no real way to monitor progress, other than blind trust of the student. Textbooks that can be found online last a lifetime longer than their physical counterpart. The wear and tear of physical text books by a student drastically diminish the life of the book, but having it online allows for virtually no wear and tear.

The use of tablets and the feature or online text books can drastically benefit the publishers and authors as well. Physical text books can lose their credibility over the years as new knowledge is constantly introduced to the world. Luckily, with e-textbooks, the work of the authors can simply be revised and republished on the spot, and publishers don’t have to reprint an entirely new book every so often.

Many people argue that having a tablet or access to the vast space of the Internet will cause students to drift off or not be on task.

To that I say, students who are unwilling to learn will always find a way to get off task. According to ProCon.org, statistics show that people who buy tablets tend to read and purchase more e-books than those who read print alone.

Print is the thing of the past. The entirety of the world is on the Internet, almost anything can be pulled up of your preferred search engine, including online text books.

Why aren’t more schools upholding this new standard and leaving physical copies as a thing of the past?Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy