Cougars head to Sac for HOSA State Conference

Weston Ranch HOSA members Supreet Sandhu and Lily Ortiz have been part of the club's success.

Thrisha Reddy

Thrisha Reddy

Kurt Acosta, News Reporter

Thrisha Reddy
Weston Ranch HOSA members Supreet Sandhu and Lily Ortiz have been part of the club’s success.

By Kurt Acosta

Next week, 11 Weston Ranch students will travel to Sacramento to participate in the HOSA State Leadership Conference March 16-18. This conference is a statewide competition where about 3000 HOSA members will compete in leadership events and tests, including the HOSA bowl.

During the three-day event, the top three overall students will be invited to participate in the HOSA International Leadership Conference in Orlando, Florida over the summer.

Weston Ranch HOSA Chapter President Deepa Singh participated in the conference last year.

“It was an amazing experience and I loved being able to talk to other HOSA members across California,” Singh said. “I expect that all the members from Weston Ranch chapter to go to SLCs very confident and trust their abilities.”

In the recent Area Leadership Conference February 24, 14 be.Vital students placed within the top three in several different events.

“Of the 14 events that were competed in,” Basepayne said, “we had students place in almost all of them.”

Adela Salvador created the Chapter poster that won Weston Ranch first place and won $300 toward our chapter as well as placed second in the Extemporaneous Health Poster. Anna Moorad placed third in Healthy Lifestyles.

Weston Ranch also had three winning students in the Prepared Speech event with Deepa Singh in first, Michelle Thao in second and Sawsan Muthana in third. Rajdeep Pannu came in second with Arnold Juarez-Zambrano coming in third place in Sports Medicine. Lily Ortiz won first place in Medical Terminology. Teresa Novoa ranked second in Medical Math. Taylor Gapuz came in third place in Extemporaneous Writing. Jasmine Siano and Alexander Tapia won first with Karman Basra and Nathan Nepomuceno right behind them in second place in Health Career Display.