Weston Ranch’s Prep All-Stars

Weston Ranch student-athletes Huerta and Carrillo honored

Weston+Ranch+student-athletes+Tomas+Huerta+and+Iris+Carrillo+receive+their+Best+of+the+West+honors+from+Athletic+Director+Jason+Furtado.+
Weston Ranch student-athletes Tomas Huerta and Iris Carrillo receive their Best of the West honors from Athletic Director Jason Furtado.

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

Manuel Espinoza, Sports Editor

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy
Weston Ranch student-athletes Tomas Huerta and Iris Carrillo receive their “Best of the Record” letters from Athletic Director Jason Furtado.

Photo courtesy of the Oakland Raiders
Oakland Raiders Quarterback Derek Carr will headline an All-Star Prep event that will honor area athletes including Huerta and Carrillo.

By Manuel Espinoza

Two Weston Ranch students have been recognized by The (Stockton) Record for their accomplishments as athletes on the outdoor terrain.

Seniors Tomas Huerta and Iris Carrillo have been selected as The Record ‘s, The Best of the Record All-Star Preps Team for the 2016-17 school year for the sport of Cross Country.

The student honor includes an invitation to an awards banquet June 15th at the Stockton Arena.

Oakland Raiders quarterback and Fresno native Derek Carr is scheduled to speak at the banquet.

Huerta and Carrillo learned about the award Tuesday after being called out of class to see Vice Principal and Athletic Director Jason Furtado.

Carrillo said she wasn’t unsure if she’d done something wrong. Yet, when she entered the office there was the award letter, detailing the banquet and photos times to be included in The Record’s photo session.

“I’m grateful for this award because I love my sport and I’ve worked hard to get to where I am today,” Carrillo said. Over the past two Cross Country seasons, Carrillo has placed in or near the Top Ten in the majority of her meets.

Huerta was shocked as well, and didn’t realize such an award existed, though the runner said it felt great to be recognized for putting in the work to achieve success. Huerta won or placed in the Top Five of most of the meets he entered during the season.

At the CIF State Cross Country Championships in November, Huerta finished 25th out of a field of 192 competitors.

“I feel that I earned this award,” Huerta said. “I worked and practiced everyday of the week.”