Every 15 Minutes…

Two-Day Program Brings Home Reality of Drunk Driving

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

The Prowl Staff

Cedric Leung
Prowl photo by Cedric Leung

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

By The Prowl Staff

The first hint came from the gravestones located in the quad with students’ names etched onto them.

As juniors and seniors ascended bleachers near the football field, it began.

By this point, many knew what would be uncovered beneath the blue tarp on the track.

Last Thursday, March 2, students had a first-hand look at what a car accident involving a drunk driver looked like through the bi-yearly “Every 15 Minutes” or E-15 program, which simulates these events within a high school.

When the tarp was pulled off, there was the recreation of a wreck with a drunk driver. The students involved were those who had their names on the gravestones.

As the scene unfolded, we learned how paramedics and hospitals consider the immediate hour after a wreck to be the “golden hour.” If those injured in the wreck can make it to the hospital within this golden hour, their chances of survival are very high. One person involved in the wreckage on the track below would not survive.  – Joeseph Walkins

What I Saw

It was as if, I watched a head-on collision caused by a young lady who’d been drinking a little too much.

I felt like I witnessed a young man die instantly after flying out the front windshield of a car while another young lady dies in hospital.

I got to see how first responders arrive to such an event, how the firefighters rip open a car to save someone’s life, how the police arrest a young adult for Driving Under the Influence.

I saw how a helicopter pilot decides to save someone, or not.

And I observed how all the pain, suffering, and drama that happens to young adults, their parents, friends, or anyone it affects, can be avoided in a decision that happens in 1.8 seconds. – Manuel Espinoza

1.8 Seconds

The idea of 1.8 seconds was a concept talked about by one E-15 speaker. It takes us only that long to make a general decision. Every fifteen minutes, someone gets seriously injured or killed in an alcohol related accident. It is our own decision to pick up that cup and take a sip that would eventually lead to wanting more. The very thought of having to have my parents and my siblings, most especially my little brother, having to deal with my tragic mistakes and feel distressed on my account was absolutely devastating. – Cheyenne Yodong

Carpe Diem

Regret: a feeling of sadness or disappointment over something that has happened or been done, especially and particularly towards a loss or missed opportunity.

This is the feeling I most associate with the E-15 event.

Drinking and driving wasn’t necessarily my primary concern. It is the aftermath.  The event served as a reminder to me of what death is – long, merciless, cruel, painful, and above all, permanent.

Such a reminder, consistently fills me with regret. It gives me a feeling that I did not do what I could, or should have done in life with my friends. Such a reminder reminds me of my failures, that I did not do all I could have done to repair any – even the slightest – mistake I may have made with a loved one.  – Manuel Carlos

Game Changer

E15 was a real game changer. The overall message was not to drink and drive. The visual representations really tore me emotionally. Knowing that a someone starts their golden hour every 15 minutes, and knowing that the person could be me, really makes me appreciate life more. – Thrisha Reddy

Lesson Learned

Drunk driving has affected my life.

My cousin was out drinking with his boys. They came up with the idea that it would be “fun” to race through the streets at three in the morning. That night, his clutch wasn’t working. He hit a corner too fast and he flipped off the road.

Luckily, he didn’t die, but the idea he could have haunts me every time I think of it. He was in the hospital for two weeks. If you make stupid decisions, you could meet an unforgiving future. – Cedric Leung

Final Goodbyes

There was a funeral for the people who had died yesterday. The parents of the students were there too and some parents wrote eulogies for their “dead” child. It was very emotional.

I think at this age we do drink and do drugs, maybe. We think we’re indestructible. It was good to have real instances and real people whom have been through tragedy to share their experiences and tell us that this could happen to us. We’re not indestructible. – Tomas Huerta