JROTC’s Got Talent

Talent Show Tonight at Theatre

Weston+Ranch+Senior+Corbin+Holdcroft+participates+in+the+3rd+Annual+Raider+Challenge+Feb.+11.+
Weston Ranch Senior Corbin Holdcroft participates in the 3rd Annual Raider Challenge Feb. 11.

Octavio Lopez

Octavio Lopez

Manuel Carlos, News Editor

Prowl Photo courtesy of Octavio Lopez
Weston Ranch JROTC place third at 3rd Annual Raider Challenge Feb. 11.

Prowl photo by Manuel Carlos
Students run through rehearsal for Friday’s JROTC-sponsored talent show.

By Manuel Carlos

The stage is being set for stars of the future. Literally.

“Zo’s Mardi Gras JROTC Talent Show” will be held 6:30 p.m. tonight at the WRHS school theatre. Admission is $2 or free for ASB students.

The Weston Ranch Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corp (JROTC) program will also be selling pizza, churros, and drinks as well. The event will raise funds for the group’s end of the year field trip to Great America.

“We put in a lot of effort, and I’m pretty sure this is gonna pay off, because all of the acts are really great this year,” said Karman Basra, hard at work as part of a crew of more than 20 JROTC students preparing for tonight’s show. Basra, who is the student in charge of managing and directing the talent show and crew, also auditioned the acts with the aid of fellow crew members Brenden Le and Alelih Galvadores.

More than 30 students are scheduled to showcase their talents at Weston Ranch.

The necessity of the hard work needed to create such an event was a feeling shared by other JROTC members, including Laray Dacus.

“Lights are hard. Kill me,” Dacus said jokingly on the eve of the big show. Dacus wanted to make sure the spotlight would shine brightly on all who took the stage at the talent show.

This marks the second-ever JROTC Talent Show. The first was held in February 2014.

In the meantime, the spotlight has shined on the school’s JROTC program, as well as current and former members.

In November, former JROTC Cadet Teresa Novoa (’17) was awarded the prestigious Legion of Valor Bronze Cross for Academic Achievement, JROTC’s highest academic award.

Last weekend, the program took third place at the annual Raider Challenge at Fresno State University, out of a competition field of 10 schools from the Sacramento and Stockton areas. The Raider team, led by Corbin Holdcroft (’17), is described by the JROTC battalion’s Web site as a section focused on increasing cadets physical strength.

Retired Army Lt. Col. and JROTC Battalion Instructor Michael Cerezo told The Prowl  to expect some surprises at the talent show more than worth the cost of admission.