When You Refuse To Watch ‘The Notebook,’ Again

Alternative Viewing For Valentine's Day

Manuel Carlos, News Editor

By Manuel Carlos

Once a year, every year, humans unite to celebrate happiness, be it romantic love with a significant other, platonic love with family and friends or the love of time alone with a pint of cool ice cream and an un-ending binge cued up online to Netflix and vengeance kill.

However you find your “happy” in an age of Alternative Facts, these films offer Alternative Romance for your Valentine’s viewing. Of course, get parental permission and follow all MPAA Ratings rules.

DEADPOOL Rated: R

STARRING: Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin

1 Hour 48 minutes

Synopsis: Ex-Special forces agent Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) becomes an extraordinary mercenary, who, through his unusual crusades meets Vanessa Carlysle (Morena Baccarin), the love of his life. Forces work to keep the couple apart. In a violent quest to regain Vanessa, Wade gets really upset.

For those interested in: Raunchy/Dark Humor, Violence, Action.

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER  Rated: PG-13

STARRING: Emma Watson, Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller

1 Hour 45 minutes

Synopsis: Introverted, freshman Charlie (Logan Lerman) gradually finds himself as best friends with Sam (Emma Watson) and her step-brother Patrick (Ezra Miller). As their relationships develop, the three open up about their grim pasts. Think you’re feeling sad? Cheer up, you may never feel this sad.

For those interested in: Dramatic, compassionate stories.

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD   Rated: PG-13

STARRING: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead

1 Hour 53 minutes

Synopsis: Not so long ago in the distant realm of Toronto, Canada, an awkward, jobless 22-year-old Scott Pilgrim was dating a high school girl until Scott meets Ramona Flowers, the “girl of his dreams.” In a series of humorous and unfortunate events, Scott must defeat Ramona’s “seven deadly exes” in order to keep her as his new girlfriend. The film contains a running retro video arcade theme as Scott tries to stay in the game.

For those interested in: Humor, action, sarcasm.