High School Works To Be Good Neighbor

Paul Comauex, News Reporter

Weston Ranch High School is named after the community where the school is located. But more importantly, the high school is part of its community as a resource for athletics and the arts to both neighbors too young and too old to attend the high school as students.

The Junior Cougars football team trains and plays games on high school fields.

Cougars Head Coach Seth Davis said the purpose of this relationship is, “To have kids ready for the system and attitude they’ll find in high school.”

In regard to the Arts, in the fall and around Halloween, the school hosts a Trunk or Treat event as well as a professional-style Haunted House.

Each spring, the school mounts a musical on the theatre stage and invites area elementary schools to attend productions like “Disney’s The Little Mermaid” or “Cinderella.” The children love everything in the play from the live music to the actors on the stage.

Younger visiting students also are attracted to musical recitals were a sense of community is reciprocal.

“It’s good for the students to know that their community cares about them,” said Weston Ranch Music Director Joe Barron.

Choir Director Jessica Claude agreed but could see how the school might have room to continue to reach out to the greater Weston Ranch community.

“I think we get great support from community, I advertise on our local Weston Ranch open forum page and people were supportive, I feel like were supported it’s fun to see our community to come out for our concerts,” Claude said.

“I do think we have some room to improve in getting more involved,” Claude said, “but we do have people that are very supportive.”

In terms of our civic offerings, every couple of years – as was the case in November – our school library is used as a polling place for local voters. This is both a benefit to the community and a remember to the role students will need to play as responsible citizens.

“It’s a good example for the students here so they’ll want to vote,” said School Librarian Della Johnson. As was the case in November, that line extended to the parking lot.
Principal Francine Baird said she wants Weston Ranch to become of a resource used by the community.

“At first, we were trying to get the community involved but now they’re making themselves involved,” Baird said.

As a result, the community’s interest in high school events has grown.

“At Senior Awards night, we didn’t have enough seats,” Baird said, of the turnout of members in the community.

The principal said while that raised some concerns, it “is a problem but a good one to have.”