Rising Temps, Rising Waters

Cedric Leung, News Reporter

Scorching and intolerable 90-degree weather for four straight days last week was followed by a Friday with a comfortable 79. The weather’s outlook is looking pretty good, like the beginning of summer. But what’s happening because of rising temperatures?

The snowpack rose quite a bit; more than 150 percent of normal. The snowpack water content as of May 9 according to the San Joaquin Department of Water Resources indicated that the water content was at roughly 190 percent of normal statewide. This is great for farmers in the California area because they can expect a good water supply for their summer crops, but several problems arise for the rest of us.

From 2012-2016, there has been a drought due to lack of rain and water in California. Yet, because of the amount of precipitation received in the recent months, many have forgotten about the principal of water conservation which remains very important in California. This is not a good thing, as water is one of the most important resources of the state. So, neglecting to save water, stirs up the issue of a potential repeat of the past: another drought.

There are also large amounts of cold – very cold – water surging into rivers, reservoirs, and levees throughout the melting snowpack’s proximity. The capacity of these water holes of sorts are exceeding their limits, and being filled with water able to put its encountered into a hypothermic state. This causes the issue of outdoor water-related activities to be more dangerous than fun for their participants. Figuratively speaking, one wrong move, and a life can be lost within hours without proper care.

Also, those who were planning to seamlessly ride the currents through rafts and other flotation devices are at a much higher risk of being hurt. There can be hidden and broken branches and other inconsistencies that hide beneath the water that are rendered invisible due to the higher levels, and there are even known to be some areas of the water that can whirlpool those who enter it leaving them helpless, pulling them into much more harsh currents.

The water holds so much potential for mistake and danger, so it is heavily advised to be aware and avoid thoughtless actions when in and around it in order to ensure safety for the public.

But not all is bad in this. After all, hot weather does mark the beginning of perhaps the best time of the year; summer.

Summer means we get to ditch the “school-appropriate” apparel we’ve come so accustomed to for the last 10 months for freedom. It’s that time of the year where the sunglasses, tanks, sundresses, sandals, and so much more come out for us to flaunt on our Instagrams and Snapchats as we lay poolside and at the beach.

And not to mention, summer resolutions http://cougarprowl.net/1297/cougar-life/summer-resolutions/ like these suggestions.                       

There’s the barbecues that bring the families together. Music blasting as we ride with the windows dropped going on undesignated adventures. Parties everywhere lasting until the sun comes up. Volleyball, basketball, and football games happening all at the same time. Festivals and activities popping up all around in every corner of the country. Movies coming out to enjoy with those close to us and distract us from the reality of the heat.

Ready or not, summer is coming.